Tuesday, March 30, 2021

March: Marathon not a Sprint


 March Hours: 8

Total Hours: 18


    This month marked a change in classes from previous semesters as we finished actual classes for Principles and Med Pharm during the first week. This meant that my mornings became time for studying instead of classes as we take the NMBE the first of April. It definitely was a weird change to not have morning classes, but it was nice to get into a study mode and look over and challenge myself on information from the previous semester. There are a ton of drugs to remember and look over, but I am finding myself remember more than I thought.

                I continued my work with USVSD this month and volunteered one morning with the professional training dogs. I worked with two dogs who had their final evaluation before going into graduation weeks with their forever person. It was really exciting to see all the hard work turn into a cumulation of well defined tasks and commands. One is going to be a PTSD dog for a vet, and the other is going to be a mobility dog for a vet. I recently decided I am going to continue on with my volunteer position to also include fundraising intern, as they do not have a dedicated person to that, and I really am interested in running some fundraisers to help financially support these dogs.

            It also was an exciting month because Touro reopened their volunteer program. I was a volunteer in the Emergency Department, and I was able to come back on in that role. I was the first volunteer cleared, so I got to be the guinea pig to find the new normal. I LOVE the Emergency Department, and it was so exciting to be doing that again. I worked on stocking IV carts, assisting patients to the bathroom, doing pregnancy tests, taking COVID tests, and delivering drinks, foods, and blankets to patients. Without anymore COVID patients really coming through, it was a lot calmer than when I last was there. My favorite part of the ED is working with the patients and nurses, and watching the doctors evaluate patients, so I am excited to continue helping out as well as learning from the healthcare workers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

April: Hey Look Ma, We Did It

April Hours: 12 Total Hours: 30 Caption: Kennedy, a black lab, preforming a place on a bed while a distraction cat and ferret run in the bac...